First of all you need to download backtrack5 R1 from it official website, backtrack5 R1 is avai...
First of all you need to download backtrack5 R1 from it official website, backtrack5 R1 is available in different flavours so check your compatibility and download it. For this tutorial we are using a USB device to install backtrack5 r1.
- USB (Flash Drive) (Minimum USB Drive capacity 4 GB)
- Backtrack 5 ISO file, md5sum verified.
Unetbootin is a program (tool) that is used to create bootable USB drive for majors Linux distro without any need of CD, it can be run on both Windows and Linux, so here is the procedure to burn your USB.
- Download UNetbootin, latest version (Linux, Windows, OSX)
- Plug in your USB Drive
- Format the USB drive to FAT32
- Start Unetbootin and select the "diskimage" option, choose a BackTrack 5 r1 ISO file.
- Select the amount of space to use for persistence in MB
- Select your USB drive and click “OK” for creating a bootable BackTrack USB drive.
- Once rebooted, remember that the default username and password are root / toor.
Now your USB is ready to install backtrack5 r1 on hard disk drive, there are many ways to use backtrack5 r1 or any Linux distro, you can run it on virtual environment and you can install it with other operating system means dual boot, but for this article we will install it on a hard disk with no other operating system.
- Boot the Backtrack Live Environment.
- At the bash prompt, type startx to enter the GUI.
- Double click the Install Backtrack.sh on the desktop
- Let's run through the installer step by step
- Select the language and click on the forward button.
- Select your geographical location and time zone than click on the forward button
- Choose your keyboard layout, or leave it on a default means USA
- Now the next window is to make partition select "Install them side by side, choosing between them each startup" than click forward
- On the next window confirm the setting for your hard disk.
- Than check all the install component and click on install.
- when the installation reaches at 99% it takes some time so do not worry about it.
- After Finished Press the restart button.
- On the next boot your computer will ask you to choose a operating system
- Do not forget the default username root and password toor, and do not forget to change them.
- Now you are able to run backtrack5 R1 with windows XP, windows 7 and Windows Vista.